Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I feel so special

I have recently (re)realized just how fortunate I am to have support from a lot of different people. There are not a lot of MBA graduates (or college graduates for that matter) in my family, so the fact that I am going to Michigan is a BIG DEAL. During the months of March (I applied R2) and April, as I provided admission/decision updates to the family, I often got asked “so, is your mom planning a send-off for you”? I then called my mom and said “umm, I guess you are having a sendoff for me”. She had wanted to get the family together, so this was perfect timing.

What made me feel all special was the fact that A LOT of my family and friends came over to send me off. And people came from all over Southern California – from just outside of San Diego to just south of Ventura County to my cousin in Vegas. It really made me feel special that I’ve got the love and support of my family as I get ready to leave. In addition to the family, quite a few friends are taking me out to dinner. One set is taking me to a Giants game so I can see (Name-of-Phone-Company) Park again. Another set is taking me to Napa. And yet another set of family friends is chipping in to buy me winter gear . Aww. :) I’m really going to miss them.

Now for things I’m NOT going to miss – well, that would be good ole’ Oakland International Airport. Yes, I know DTW isn’t that much better. But flying Southwest out of Oakland is an experience! I missed my flight down there, but since there are flights leaving all the time to LAX, I just took the next one that left ½ hour later. Well apparently it was really important that we take off on time otherwise we’d lose our spot in the takeoff line (?) and have to wait for another one to free up…this isn’t a bakery! But if it’s so important that we take off on time, then why board a really full flight only 10 minutes prior to departure. But I digress. On my return trip, we landed in the non-Southwest terminal, but our bags went to the Southwest terminal. So after walking to terminal 2, I see literally 4 flights full of people who were waiting for their bags to come out onto the baggage claim. 45 minutes later, my luggage finally came. They could really use a more efficient baggage claim system. Oh well, for the time being, I'm going to go back to my "no checked-in baggage" thing.

Self-discovery is going well. The OCD, MBA2's, and alumni have been very helpful. I am definitely learning a lot about myself and the different types of marketing careers, so I will feel better when I get to school in the fall. I don’t think I’ll be quite as overwhelmed – but that’s easier said than done. I'm not waiving out of any classes (somehow organic chemistry classes don't lead to knowledge in accounting), so I'll be overwhelmed enough with Fall A classes.

Now to get back to mentally packing. I keep having this dream that my apartment will magically pack and clean itself. Hey, girl can dream, right?

4 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

wow from the tone this post you seem to have gone to Cal (or maybe CSU Hayward).

I also went to Cal (class of 2001) and go to LBS now. Good luck at Michigan. I'll keep on eye on your blog.

Go Bears!

6/28/2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger fromcali said...

KV - I didn't go to school in the East Bay. I'd tell you where i went, but you and brownoski would beat me up. I am often told that I seem more like a Cal person than that other school person.

MGalBlue - thanks! I am chatting a lot with the family (and have a couple of other SoCal trips planned) - and part of the reason for the blog is to update several people all at once.

6/29/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger KV said...

In that case I'll stop reading your blog right now ;-)

Actually I have a lot of friends who went to the Farm but I can tell they are Golden Bears at heart :-)

Where in So Cal are you from? I’m from Huntington Beach.

6/30/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Name-of-Phone-Company Park = CLASSIC!

I am having a send-off for myself because my family is too lazy :)

6/30/2006 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home