Thursday, May 04, 2006

More about me...

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome to the blogging world. I thought I'd go into how I wound up at this phase in my life, especially since nobody would have predicted that I'd be getting an MBA while I was in college.

Sometime in mid-2003, I had this super impressive, high profile, very strategic and challenging assignment. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was doing. While I figured it out eventually, this served as a HUGE wake-up call and I started looking into MBA programs. As I researched schools, I realized that I had a strong desire to stay in California, but was drawn to the Michigan program, often describing it as "the one school I'd be willing to leave the state for".

Well, I got impatient during the research process and decided to take the GMAT and see what happens. BAD IDEA. I half studied for the GMAT and almost cried when my score reflected my lack of preparation - and then wondered how I have been able to function since the GMAT people think I'm illiterate. But more importantly, I realize that I was just looking for a change in my professional life.

I got a better job in my company. I enjoyed that job so much that the MBA wasn't the urgent priority that it was just a few months earlier. But, I then I realized that I wasn’t really developing new skills. Instead, I was learning more about the specific projects I was doing. I knew this would get boring after a while. So, I decided to take the b-school plunge again, and knew I had to tackle the GMAT.

After much more effective studying, I was much more pleased with the score - in fact, I literally had to keep from cheering at my testing center. My first thought was “I'm definitely applying to Michigan now, how awesome would it be if I got in!” Now, that should have been a real big sign that Michigan is where I wanted to go. But I saw options with my new score, and started to look at other strong out-of-state programs that had what I thought I was looking for. I would have saved $$ on campus visits and application fees if I just went with that gut feeling though...

Oh well. It worked out in the end. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home