Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Winter A Has Started!

Happy 2007! I hope all is going well! I can’t believe that in 2006, I submitted applications to business school, got in, visited all the schools, made a $120K decision, quit my crappy job, packed up, moved across the country, and started a whole new life. And I also can’t believe just how much Ann Arbor feels like “home” – even more than my hometown. (Though that may be just because my stuff is in Ann Arbor.) Though I did enjoy the sun, and spending time with friends/family, I did miss my hanging out with my b-school friends.

OK, obligatory post BCS bowl game comment. Umm, I don’t know what the hell happened with the Big-10. USC outplayed us, out-coached us, and just flat out looked better. Kinda made me feel bad for all of that crap I talked about USC. And Florida? I was more shocked by that one than anything else. Oh well. Now football season is over. What does this town do after football season?

After hiding all of my Michigan gear, I got back on the plane and flew back out to AA to start Winter A. To my surprise, when I flew back it was POURING rain. Huh? It’s January! It’s since gotten much colder and snowed, but apparently it’s still much milder than “normal”.

Winter A started on Monday, and brought a surprise snowfall (it rained the night before) and only two core classes: Managerial Accounting and Operations. This is done on purpose so that people can manage their time with interviews as they see fit. Most people seem to have the core classes only on Monday/Wednesday. But others (myself included) are taking at least a 3rd and in some cases a 4th class – either an elective that may help them for the internship, or one of either World Economy, law requirement, writing, or Excel. I’m not sure how I feel about either of those two classes yet. Operations makes the most sense to me because of my previous jobs, but I’m not entirely excited about it.

It’s also interview season here. Many resume drops had deadlines over the break, and the first closed lists came out. It’s strange since nobody wants to ask who got close-listed where, but at the same time, people are very curious. There’s one very popular CPG in particular that people are wondering about. It’s not nearly as tense as I expected it to be around here. There are interview prep groups, and people are very helpful.

MAP project signups also start today. SO many choices: domestic or international, nonprofit or for-profit, and I’m not 100% sure how MAP projects get assigned. There are a few that people are most excited about. We’ll see.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Pi said...

No one, not even the administration, knows how MAP projects are assigned.

Hopefully, all your choices are projects that you would actually be willing to do if assigned.

1/17/2007 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home