Saturday, September 30, 2006

Midterms, marketing, and more midterms...

Rain, rain, go away...
(Don't) come again another day...
Fromcali wants to go and play...
Rain, rain, go away...

If it's one thing the rain is doing is making me less motivated to go out and play, and more likely to sit inside someplace (not home, because I'd just watch football) and study (well, during the afternoon anyway - I feel like going out tonight). That's probably a good thing, since I have stats and accounting tests due/on Monday, and I've actually gotten a lot of stats done. We all had our Econ midterm this past Friday, and it went OK. I found it to be deceptively easy, so either I did pretty well on it (doubtful given my level of confusion caused by the lack of effort I was giving that class) or there's some fundamental concept of microeconomics that completely went over my head. A lot of people had the same comments: "I didn't like problem #X", "I kept looking for the trick on the such-and-such problem...it couldn't have been as easy as doing Y..." I'm just glad it's done.

On the class front, I'm enjoying the professors, and I'm enjoying the actual subject matter more now than I did earlier on, since I'm starting to see how the different classes relate to each other (they tried to tell us before, but it took me a while to fully "get" it). I swear I was in econ last week and thought "so THAT's where stats comes into play". I'm also finding it hard to keep things straight. Example: barriers of entry has been mentioned in both strategy AND econ, and while it means the same thing (sorta), you speak about it from a different perspective. I must admit though, that I'm more excited for Fall B classes than my current ones. I'm taking finance (the "easy" one for people who didn't waive out of accounting), two marketing electives, and a management class. I'm excited to see how the Fall A concepts can be applied to Fall B.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm a marketing club corporate liasion! That means that I am matched with a leading CPG company and have to do a lot of logistical thigs to ensure their visit/corporate presenation goes smoothly. I'm excited - especially at the company I'm matched with. I've met them before and their culture as a whole is pretty good. It's an awesome networking opportunity and I'm happy that they get to meet me one-on-one. I'm also looking for an opportunity to get involved with the Marketing Symposium (our biggest marketing event) in November. OK, it's not that hard to get involved - I just need to formally volunteer for something. That's definitely one of the biggest marketing club events of the year - complete with panels, speakers, and a career fair. Definitely a must-do for anyone interested in marketing (and in a CPG company at that).

One question I've been getting a lot: "are you going to West Coast Forum"? I'm still not sure. This is another great opportunity to network with West Coast companies, and if you're set on working in California (particularly for a tech company), it's *THE* event to go to. I'm not entirely sure if I want to work for the companies there. I used to work in tech, so I am more interested in going the CPG route for my internship and potentially do my MAP with a tech company. Then I'll decide which one I like more for the full-time job hunt.

I'm now trying to decide whatI feel like doing during fall break. Options are: stay in AA and sleep, go to bay area to visit friends, go to NYC to visit other friends (who are also students). I'm leaning towards option A or possibly C. Bay area would be nice, but what would I do during the day while people are working. Hmm...

1 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

I'd say go with option C (NYC); or better yet go abroad somwhere warm (Costa Rica)

10/01/2006 4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home