Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ann Arbor Learnings

Man, this is a pain in the neck! I never want to move again - especially on a limited budget. Yes, I know I have to move in a couple of years...unless the Google Ann Arbor campus is open by then...

I am unfortunately not having the most productive or efficient move-in imaginable. I keep wanting to sleep - then I would wake up when my body thinks it's say, 8 or 9am, but it's actually 11 or noon. Darned Eastern time! I spent the past couple of days still searching for apartment items, food, and furniture. I thought I'd compile a list of things I've learned in my short time as a resident of this city.

* It's hard to shop for furniture when you're not sure how you want to decorate your apartment. I think I'm going to pick one key item (couch) and just decorate around that.
* Several streets around here just change names suddenly. So say you're going south on street A, and then street A turns west. But you still want to go south. So street A turns and a new street comes along. (Example: S. Main Street turning into Ann Arbor Saline Rd. on the way to target).
* Streets have awfully similar names - don't ask me how often I got Huron Parkway (by Whole Foods) confused with Huron Street (by downtown).
* Produce is more expensive than back home. There's also less of a selection.
* I'm going to have to learn to drive, Michigan-style! (Read: drive more defensively.)

OK, I'm not really complaining. There are some good things I've learned as well:
* People are really nice and friendly. Especially when you tell them you've just moved from California. I've gotten so many tips on the weather: buy new tires, get coats now while they're on pre-season sale prices, etc.
* This town is really pretty. There are so many trees.
* While it's easy to get lost, this town isn't that big so you do find your way back eventually.
* Everything (other than produce) seems to be cheaper. Well, gas is about the same price.
* Sales tax is only 6%!

So, result for today - still furniture-less (not much luck on CL), still TV-less (I'll be buying a TV tomorrow). I've been very good about not buying apartment crap until I have a couch, table, dresser, and TV. I just bought a mattress and need to get the bedframe and wait for delivery. I'm also starting to figure out my way around here - which is key since I have to exchange some of the previously purchased household items.

Location of "car" - still in Bay Area terminal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

i guess you miss the extra hours of sleep once school starts, so dont be sad about being a little unproductive.

8/11/2006 12:31 AM  
Blogger KV said...

You should get your TV from Costco

8/11/2006 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home