Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Greetings from Ann Arbor!

I made it!

Note to future MBA students: don't quit job Friday and then move out Tuesday morning. I swear I had a good reason to do so. I spent all of this weekend finalizing the packing, going to US Postal service to ship packages, throwing stuff out, and last-minute CL ads. People aren't as flaky when you say "must go by X date" because then they think they can bargain the prices down. They were right. Then the last thing I had to do was say goodbye to car (my car's name is "car"). I dropped my car off at the terminal. Car got sad because it's not used to being away from me for that long. But i promised her that she'd be very well taken care of until 8/21 - which is when she's scheduled to get here. I'll let you know how I feel about the company after car gets back to me safe-and-sound. In the meantime, I'm renting an SUV - very handy.

I really like my apartment - it's got everything my other apartment did not - dishwasher, a/c (wall unit), full-sized stove, a bathtub, dining area separate from my living room. I think I'm the only person who goes to grad school and gets a better apartment than I had before (I lived in a really nice area so I skimped on the apartment itself_. In fact, this apartment seems bigger than it did when I came out a few weeks ago. That's a double-bonus! Plus, I've got a separate pantry (read: kitchen cabinets are used for dishes only) and linen closet (read: bedroom closets are used for clothes only). Now to figure out how to furnish this place.

Anyway, I'm now doing all of the crap I forgot that comes with moving - target runs, about to make a costco run, buying new kitchen appliances, etc. At one point I'll get around to actually buying furniture. So many options - do I go with IKEA or do I go to Craigslist? Food for thought.

I'm still loving this little town. It's not been unbearably hot or thunder stormey. It IS easy to get lost here though. I do miss knowing how to get places. Ah well.

Location of "car" - still in Bay Area terminal.

5 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

Sweet. Tell us more about your experiences as you settle down in your new hometown.

When does school start ?

8/09/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I am green with envy. Life would be so much easier if I had a vehicle right now...

Check out walmart, they have pretty decent furniture as well and cheaper then IKEA.

8/09/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger KV said...

craigslist all the way; unless you need brand new furniture.

On another note I miss my Costco runs... :-(

8/09/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger fromcali said...

Forrest - will do. Orientation starts on the 24th, classes start on 9/5.

Marina - I'm not so sure life in NYC would be better with a vehicle. In AA on the other hand, you really do need a car to get anywhere.

KV - I'm leaning towards Craigslist. I don't need new furniture.

8/10/2006 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few things:

A2 is the only city/town I know of where people actually stop at a green light.

Busch's has the best produce, but it is more expensive.

When the cold weather does come, just remember: layers.

Most importantly: Have Fun!!!

8/14/2006 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home