Monday, October 30, 2006

Fall B Starts tomorrow - Where did fall break go?

OK, I had so many plans for fall break, including: clean my apartment, finish some things for extracurriculars, do laundry, and get a jump-start on reading for classes.

Well..., it's a little past midnight and I'm just getting to my marketing reading for tomorrow. I've done about half of my laundry (so I have something to wear tomorrow), and cleaned the kitchen and part of my front room. I don't know exactly what happened to Fall Break (i mean "MBA Forums and Professional Development Week"). I didn't go to West Coast Forum (the Marketing Symposium is a much better use of my time considering what I want to get into), so I decided to lay low. Unfortunately, times of super high stress tend to make me a little sick afterwards, and i found myself fighting a cold for a big chunk of it. I did find the time to hang out, grab some drinks with others here, catch a movie, and go to some Halloween parties.

Now that Fall B is upon us, it's also time to really start cracking on the recruiting thing. And for a lot of first years, that means mock interview season. It's a little intimidating to think that you're "mock" interviewing with real companies, but it's a really good service. You just have to realize that even though it's not technically a "real" interview, you do want to make a good impression on the company. And it's probably a good idea to get my 30-second speech tight for the symposium. Mine started out being more jumbled and a lot longer, so I've been working to get it to where it needs to be.

It's also time for me to start getting more involved with extracurriculars. I'm already involved in a couple, but I feel like getting more involved in the ones I'm doing. I'm learning that you get more out of the MBA experience if you stretch yourself, so that's what I'm going to do. After all, I didn't move from sunny California to cloudy Michigan to still remain in my comfort zone. I started thinking of the developmental goals that i had going into B-school -- one of them is to more confidently and aggressively approach a new task (I tend to be very reserved and "observant" during the beginning stages of a project). I wind up doing well once I start to feel like I know what I'm talking about, but my initial reluctance to jump "head first" into a brand new project has caused me problems in the past (and I've gotten that feedback before). I KNOW there will definitely be situations where I need to just jump into a project w/o knowing everthing right away. So by getting more deeply involved in something, I'll hopefully push myself to feel more comfortable in brand new situations. I also need to really get used to juggling multiple projects and work hard - basically wake up the skills that have gone dormant during my last year of pre-B-school work. There are some activities I have in mind, so we'll see how that goes...

Oh, and in case you were wondering -- today was a beautiful day! The sun was out, i saw blue sky ALL DAY, and i was so excited! Unfortunately, it's 26 degrees right now...It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow (Monday), but still...Good thing I got some warm gear recently (hat, gloves, scarf, etc). I am still deciding on a coat and boots.

OK, back to reading now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home