Monday, November 13, 2006

Fall B Update

So, Fall B is 1/3 done. I'm not sure how time keeps flying. I'm also not sure I understand this weather. In the 2 weeks of Fall B, we've had massive cold, enough snow to stick, followed by 65 degree weather (which felt WARM to me), and (yet another) series of rainstorms. I really don't know if this is "typical" Midwestern weather or global warming, but it's strange to me.

Fall B is supposed to be "easier" than Fall A. It's certainly less "quant" than Fall A is (my only quant class is finance, and that doesn't seem to be too hard). The other three: Marketing core, MO (Management and Organizations), and my elective require almost no mathematical skills whatsoever. But I'm comfortable with quant. I kind of miss it. Yes, I'm a dork...

This term is very teamwork and presentation focused. I have groups for all of my classes, 3 of them have presentations. Class discussions are more lively and there's more cold-calling. I'm actually enjoying the discussions and some of the material more than I thought I would (particluarly MO). The tricky part about group work is well, finding time to work as a group. Between recruiting activities (case interview prep, mocks, presentations), extracurriculars, and case competitions, it's hard to get everyone together. Thn once we do get together, it's hard to not let old work habits come back into play. At work, it's easy to be aggressive to get things done, and even a bit of a hard-ass, but at work you are almost always working towards the same goal. In my experiences here, nobody wants to be overly assertive since you don't want to be "that guy (or girl)" who pisses off all of your classmates. I'm guilty of it too...it's going to be a learning experience to try and assert myself w/o alienating others.

OK, to bed now! Mich/Ohio State game this weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

crazy...my marketing class is very quant!

11/13/2006 11:24 PM  
Blogger fromcali said...

There's a little bit of quant, but so far, it seems to be easier quant, and with the case analysis for the most part (we have to write a case about a real-world problem). I haven't gotten to my project yet.

Also, a lot of the marketing electives I hear are more quantitative. This is more qualitative analysis (and using some numbers that you plug into a model).

11/14/2006 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home