Thursday, April 19, 2007

Speechless

My thoughts and prayers are with the Virginia Tech community. I wish I could do something that would actually help those who were directly affected by this tragedy.

I learned about the shootings Monday when walking through the b-school lobby. There's a big screen TV that is often turned to a various sports channel or CNN. I glanced at the TV for a quick second and saw it was CNN. Since I was running late for a MAP meeting, I didn't actually look at the TV or see any of the story. Several hours later, when my MAP meeting was over, I walked back down and saw a massive crowd gathered around the TV with stunned looks on their faces.

I didn't know what to think when I heard about the shootings on Monday. I'm still in shock and horribly saddened by this. The thought that someone can calculate this, record himself (which were obviously in different locations and at different times) and take pictures, kill two people, then mail pictures to NBC before killing another 30 (obviously seeking some sort of fame) just makes me sick. I'm not too thrilled about the release of the shots of gunfire, the posting of the tapes, the release of the pictures either. I understand the need to provide information, but I think there needs to be some sensitivity from the media. I am not directly impacted by this tragedy, but even I didn't like going to cnn's website last night and seeing that very graphic picture of the shooter pointing the gun at the camera, so the gun is almost bigger than the face. That image is seared in my mind.

This type of thing definitely puts everything into perspective. Since starting Ross, I've been really bad at keeping in touch on a personal level, and when I have talked to people, it's been mostly me updating them on my "new and exciting" life. The year or so before starting Ross was filled with my conversations about b-school and how much I hated my job. Lately, I've been getting back in touch with people I haven't talked to in years. It shouldn't have taken a tragedy like this to make me realize this but it did serve as a huge wake up call to me.

All those victims were doing was going to class and pursuing an education. God Bless them, and may they rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home